A bipartisan delegation of US Congress members recently visited India to meet with Tibet’s exiled religious and political leaders, sending a strong message about America’s unyielding support for the Tibetan people.
The six members of the delegation arrived on Aug. 2 in Dharamsala, India, home of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), which provides democratic governance for Tibetan exiles.
The delegation was made up of representatives of the House Democracy Partnership, including Chairman David Price (D-N.C.), Co-Chair Vern Buchanan (R-Fla.), Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), Rep. Susan Davis (D-Calif.), Rep. Neal Dunn (R-Fla.) and Rep. John Rutherford (R-Fla.).
The Congress members met the Dalai Lama at his residence on Aug. 3 for a discussion and luncheon, during which Buchanan told the Dalai Lama that “we want to continue to build our friendship and our partnership going forward.”
Privilege to visit His Holiness the Dalai Lama. His serenity and courage are a source of inspiration on a world sorely in need of both. pic.twitter.com/A78fVs18WO
— Gerry Connolly (@GerryConnolly) August 4, 2019
That same day, the delegation was treated to a welcome reception that included the president of the CTA Lobsang Sangay and various CTA officials and staff. There were also performances from the Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts.
The Congress members also met with the Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile and the Kashag (cabinet), the highest executive office of the CTA.
Tibet, a historically independent, has lived under a brutal Chinese occupation for the past 60 years.
Sangay said the visit of the Congress members to Dharamsala provided “hope and inspiration” to Tibetans inside Tibet.
Price said that US support and aid for the CTA will continue.
“[The] Tibetan system of democracy is inspiring to all those who believe in the democracy worldwide,” said Price.
Their visit to India was coordinated by the Office of Tibet in Washington, DC. Read the CTA’s reports on the Congress members’ visit:
- CTA President Welcomes US Delegation at Norbulingka Institute, Dharamshala
- “We assure our complete support and solidarity to Tibetans in the preservation of their religion and culture”: Congressman David Price at Kashag Secretariat
- “We will work closely with His Holiness the Dalai Lama and his vision for the future”: Congressman Vern Buchanan at Tsuglagkhang, Dharamshala
- “Tibetan system of democracy is inspiring to all those who believe in the democracy worldwide”: Congressman David Price to CTA officials
- US Congressional Delegation visits Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile